Monday, February 16, 2009

He's Just Not That Into You... WHA???

Alright, so I have a bit of a beef with this movie. My girl friend and I went to go see He's Just Not That Into You on Valentine's Day to celebrate our semi-singleness (well, semi on her part, total on mine).

Now, I "read" the book (I put that in quotes because I actually listened to the book on cd), and I loved the book. It made me laugh and laugh. It also reaffirmed things that women SHOULD know, but we don't always remember. And it was honest and made you think about the scenarios you come up with when you like someone.

Anywho, so on to the movie. First of all, I thought the character, Gigi, was way over the top. I know women who behave like that to a MUCH MUCH lesser degree, but she was outright crazy. BUT that's not even my beef because I know you want to make things bigger in movies. That's totally fine.

And you know, the majority of the movie stuck with the book until the MOST IMPORTANT part -- the end.

If you've read the book, then you know the one thing they stress OVER and OVER again is that YOU are not the exception, you are the RULE. Stop making excuses and find someone who will treat you like they should. You are NOT the exception, you are the rule.

They said this over and over again in the movie. AND THEN, in the end, the guy says, "you're MY exception." Very sweet, BUT WHAT THE HELL!?!?! You've got to be kidding me! Why don't you just PERPETUATE everything that the book goes against?? I mean, what is the POINT of the movie? And did the writer's of the book have an okay on the script? And if they did, HOW DID THEY LET THAT HAPPEN!??!

Yes, I know, I know. Hollywood wants a happy ending, but then WHY for all that is good and holy, would you make that book into a movie? That movie could have still had a happy ending, but not THAT happy ending. COME ON! Ugh.

So that's my beef. I guess I just expect too much.

2 comments:

Kim said...

i totally get what youre saying...but wasnt the book saying the same thing? basically, it said, "quit it, youre not the exception and to move on and find that guy, find the one, find mr right," right? so when u do find that guy, the one, mr right, doesnt that then make you, "the exception" to him. Cuz most likely, that guy prob had other girls he dated that he wasnt very into, til u.

powder said...

I see what you're saying, but not really. I mean the book was saying that when you find the right guy, you won't have to wonder if you're the exception because the right guy would not put you in that situation of not knowing. The right guy will let you know.